220.127.116.11 Escape Sequences
A backslash occurring inside integers in ‘0'’ notation or inside
quoted atoms or strings has special meaning, and indicates the
start of an escape sequence. The following escape sequences
- backspace (character code 8)
- horizontal tab (character code 9)
- newline (character code 10)
- vertical tab (character code 11)
- form feed (character code 12)
- carriage return (character code 13)
- escape (character code 27)
delete (character code 127)
- alarm (character code 7)
the character code represented by the hexadecimal digits
the character code represented by the octal digits.
- A backslash followed by a single newline character is ignored.
The purpose of this is to allow a string or quoted-name to
be spread over multiple lines.
\\, \', \", \`
- Stand for the character following the ‘\’.
Send feedback on this subject.